- Panek Emil (Poznań University of Economics, Poland), Kliber Paweł (Poznań University of Economics, Poland)
- Optimal Tax Progression
- Argumenta Oeconomica, 2007, nr 1-2 (19), s. 165-185, wykr., bibliogr. 17 poz.
- Teoria optymalnego opodatkowania, Podatek dochodowy, System podatkowy
Theory of optimal taxation, Income tax, Tax system
- In the paper we try to find the optimal tax system. The government has to collect some amount of taxes. The society consists of agents with different wealth. The problem is to find such a tax rate for every level of wealth that the social welfare (measured as the sum of the personal utilities) is maximized. We consider two different models – the static one and the dynamic one. It turns out that the best tax system is progressive. However, if we consider the dynamics, then it comes out that there should be very high tax exemptions for investments. (original abstract)
- The Main Library of the Cracow University of Economics
The Library of Warsaw School of Economics
The Library of University of Economics in Katowice
The Main Library of Poznań University of Economics and Business
The Main Library of the Wroclaw University of Economics
- Altay, A., The Theory of Optimal Taxation and New Approaches: A Survey, “Journal of Public Economics”, No 30, 1986.
- Buchanan, J. M., Brennan, G., Towards a Tax Constitution for Leviathan, “Journal of Public Economics”, No 8, 1977.
- Buchanan, J. M., The Political Efficiency of General Taxation, “National Tax Journal”, No 46, 1993.
- Corlett, W. J., Hague, D. C., Complementarity and the Excess Burden of Taxation, “Review of Economic Studies”, No 21, 1953.
- Dasgputta, P., Stiglitz, J., On Optimal Taxation and Public Production, “Review of Economic Studies”, No 39, 1972.
- Diamond, P. A., Mirrlees, J., Optimal Taxation and Public Production, “American Economic Review”, No 61, 1971.
- Fleming, W. H., Rishel, R. W., Deterministic and Stochastic Optimal Control. Springer Verlag, New York, 1975.
- Hettich, W., Winer, S. A., A Positive Model of Tax Structure, “Journal of Public Economics”, No 24, 1984.
- Lee, D. R., Tollison, R. D., Optimal Taxation in a Rent-seeking Environment, in: The Political Economy of Rent Seeking. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 1988.
- Leonard, D., Van Long, N., Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimisation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1992.
- Mirrles, J., An Exploration in the Theory of Optimum Income Taxation, “Review of Economic Studies”, No 38, 1971.
- Panek, E., Kliber, P., Optymalna progresja podatkowa [Optimal Tax Progression], “Ruch Prawniczy, Ekonomiczny i Socjologiczny”, No 1, 2006.
- Ramsey, F. R., A Contribution to the Theory of Taxation, “Economic Journal”, No 27, 1992.
- Saez, E., Using Elasticities to Derive Optimal Income Tax Rates, “Review of Economic Studies”, No 68, 2001.
- Slemrod, J. B. (ed.), On the High-income Laffer Curve. Tax Progressivity and Income Inequality. Cambridbe University Press, Cambridge, 1994.
- Slemrod, J. B., Shapiro, M., Consumer Response to the Timing Income: Evidence from a Change in Tax Withholding, “American Economic Review”, No 85, 1995.
- Weber, M., The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism. George Allen & Unwin Ltd, Guilford, 1976.
- Cited by