- Kahl Barbara Julia (Cracow University of Economics, Poland, PhD student)
- The Effects of Slow versus Fast Background Music on Customer Behaviour in a Student Bar and a Cafeteria
- Zeszyty Naukowe / Uniwersytet Ekonomiczny w Krakowie, 2011, nr 857, s. 93-107, tab., bibliogr. 11 poz.
- Teoria zachowań, Zachowania klientów, Zarządzanie zadowoleniem klientów, Badania ankietowe
Behaviour theory, Customer behaviour, Customer satisfaction management, Questionnaire survey
- The following study reports the results of two experiments conducted on the issue of how music tempo can be used as a tool to influence customer behaviour. Slow and fast background music were played at a student bar and cafeteria, holding all other variables as stable as possible. Under the two music conditions, observations were made regarding the average amount of money spent and the average amount of time students would stay at the bar or cafeteria. Additionally, throughout the second experiment at the student cafeteria, results were distinguished for female and male students in order to examine whether any effects are gender dependent. Along with the average amount of money spent and the average stay at the cafeteria, the students waiting time in line, the students who left before being served and the students who made an additional purchase were observed. The study also provides a broad insight into the study of atmospherics and previous industry findings on how music influences customer behaviour.(original abstract)
- The Main Library of the Cracow University of Economics
The Library of Warsaw School of Economics
The Library of University of Economics in Katowice
The Main Library of Poznań University of Economics and Business
The Main Library of the Wroclaw University of Economics
- Full text
- CUE campus access only - 0
- Alpert J., Alpert M., Music Influences on Mood and Purchases Intentions, "Psychology and Marketing" 1990, vol. 7, no. 2.
- Areni C., Exploring Managers' Implicit Theories of Atmospheric Music: Comparing Academic Analysis to Industry Insight, "The Journal of Services Marketing" 2003, vol. 17.
- Areni C., Kim D., The Influence of Background Music on Shopping Behavior. Classical versus Top-Forty Music in a Wine Store, "Advances in Consumer Research" 1993, vol.20.
- Areni C., Kim D., The Influence of In-Store Lightening on Consumers' Examination of Merchandise in a Wine Store, "International Journal of Research in Marketing" 1994, vol. 11.
- Baker J., Grewal D., Parasurman A., The Effect of Store Atmosphere on Consumer Quality Perceptions and Store Image, "Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science" 1994, vol. 22.
- Grayston D., Music While You Work, "Industrial Management" 1974, vol. 4.
- Milliman R., Using Background Music to Affect the Behavior of Supermarket Shoppers, "Journal of Marketing" 1982, vol. 46.
- Milliman R., Using Background Music on the Behavior of Restaurant Patrons, "Journal of Consumer Research" 1986, vol. 13.
- North A., Hargreaves C., The Effect of Music on Atmosphere and Purchase Intentions in a Cafeteria, "Journal of Applied Psychology" 1998, vol. 28.
- Turly L.W., Milliman R., Atmospheric Effects of Shopping Behavior: A Review of the Experimental Evidence, "Journal of Business Research" 2000, vol. 49.
- Wilson S., Society for Education, "Music and Psychology Research" 2003, vol. 31.
- Cited by