- Olejnik Iwona (Poznań University of Economics and Business, Poland), Ratajczak Joanna (Poznań University of Economics and Business, Poland)
- Attitudes to Reverse Mortgages in Wielkopolska
- Rozprawy Ubezpieczeniowe, 2017, nr 3(25), s. 79-86, rys., bibliogr. 10 poz.
Journal of Insurance, Financial Markets & Consumer Protection
- System emerytalny, Odwrócona pożyczka hipoteczna, Gospodarstwa domowe
Pension schemes, Reverse mortgage, Households
- JEL Classification: D14, D64
- A study was made of the opinions and attitudes of household representatives towards reverse mortgages (RMs). The authors attempt to identify the perceived significance of property ownership for quality of life during retirement, respondents' attitudes towards various actions that may be taken if pension income is insufficient, their knowledge about the product, and their willingness to use it. Additionally, the authors examine the relevance of factors which might encourage a consumer to take out an RM. Findings are based on a survey conducted in 2015 among 443 adults living in the region of Wielkopolska. It is found that people in Wielkopolska are strongly attached to the property that they own, and regard it as a very important factor affecting their quality of life during retirement. At the same time, the findings point to a very low level of knowledge about RMs and a negligible amount of interest in this product. The primary factor which might encourage people to take out an RM is serious illness and the need for a large amount of money to obtain medical care. (original abstract)
- The Main Library of the Cracow University of Economics
The Library of Warsaw School of Economics
The Library of University of Economics in Katowice
The Main Library of Poznań University of Economics and Business
- Full text
- Act of 23 October 2014 on reverse mortgage (Dz.U. 2014 poz. 1585).
- Costa-Font J., Gil J., Mascarilla O., 2010, Housing Wealth Decisions in Old Age: Sale and Reversion, "Housing Studies", 25(3), pp. 375-395.
- Englehardt G. V., Eriksen M. D., Gale W. G., Mills G. B., 2010, What are the Social Benefits of Homeownership? Experimental Evidence for Low-Income Households, "Journal of Urban Economics", 67(3), pp. 249-258.
- Central Statistical Office of Poland, n.d., Przeciętne dalsze trwanie życia w latach 1950-2015, http://demografia.stat.gov.pl/bazademografia/TrwanieZycia.aspx (access: 25th January 2017).
- Olejnik I., 2011, Odwrócona hipoteka jako finansowe zabezpieczenie przyszłości emerytalnej, "Polityka Społeczna", 2, pp. 56-58.
- Olejnik I., 2016 Zabezpieczenie emerytalne. Modele i determinanty zachowań polskich gospodarstw domowych, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Poznaniu, Poznań.
- Ratajczak-Tuchołka J., 2012, Polish pension system: 1989-2012, [in:] Michoń P., Orczyk J., Żukowski M., Facing the Challenges. Social policy in Poland after 1990, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Poznaniu, Poznań, pp. 122-141.
- Redfoot D. L., Scholen K., Brown S. K., 2007, Reverse Mortgages: Niche Product or Mainstream Solution? Report on the 2006 AARP National Survey of Reverse Mortgages Shoppers, AARP WP 22.
- Searle B. A., Köppe S., 2014, Assets, savings and wealth, and poverty: a review of evidence. Final report to the Joseph Rowntree Foundation. Bristol: Personal Finance Research Centre.
- Toussaint J., Elsinga M., 2010, Dutch Households' Strategies for Old Age and The Role of Housing Wealth, "Teorija in Praksa", 47(5), pp. 1028-1043.
- Cited by