- Yovogan Marcellin M. (Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski", Bulgaria)
- Firm Performance and Non-financial Reporting in Bulgarian Companies
- Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego. Finanse, Rynki Finansowe, Ubezpieczenia, 2011, nr 37, s. 161-169, tab., bibliogr. 18 poz.
- Słowa kluczowe
- Sprawozdawczość niefinansowa, Ekonomiczna wartość dodana, Sprawozdawczość
Non-financial reporting, Economic Value Added (EVA), Reporting
- streszcz., summ..
- Firm performance is widely measured through the use of financial indicators, such as ROI, ROA or EVATM. This article aims at highlighting non financial performance indicators as disclosed by Bulgarian companies. We studied the financial statements and management reports of a sample of companies from different industries, in order to find, to which extent, non-financial information disclosure was available. Social responsibility, human capital and environment are key non-financial indicators studied and based on the Global Reporting Index (GRI) guidelines. We found, that the financial services industry tends to publish sufficient non-financial performance indicators, and has been spearheading the adoption of non-financial information disclosure guidelines. Companies listed on the Bulgarian stock exchange, tend to report more non-financial information than non-listed companies. Large-scale firms disclose more non-financial information than SMEs. Finally, no relationship between non-financial reporting and firm performance was established, though the firms studied showed positive financial indicators. Non-financial reporting is used for communication purposes rather than for perspectives on performance valuation.(original abstract)
- Dostępne w
- Biblioteka Główna Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Krakowie
Biblioteka Główna Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Katowicach
Biblioteka Główna Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Poznaniu
Biblioteka Główna Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego we Wrocławiu
Biblioteka Główna Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego
- Pełny tekst
- Albert C., Günther: Disclose or not disclose: determinants of social reporting for STOXX Europe 600 firms, "Journal of Management Control" December 2010, Vol. 20.
- Anderson J.W.: Corporate Social Responsibility, Greenwood Press, Connecticut 1989.
- Arlow P., Gannon M.J.: Social Responsiveness, Corporate Structure and Economic Performance, Academy of Management Review, issue 7, 1982, pp. 235-241.
- Berthelot S., Cormier D., Magnan M.: Environmental Disclosure Research: Review and Synthesis, "Journal of Accounting Literature" 2003, 22: 1-44.
- Carroll A.: A three dimensional model of corporate performance, "Academy of Management Review" 1979, no. 4, pp. 99-120.
- Clarkson M.: A stakeholder framework for analysing and evaluating corporate social performance, "Academy of Management Review" 1995, vol. 20, iss. 1, pp. 92-117.
- Economic Policy Institute, "Reporting on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) by the 40 Largest Listed Companies in Bulgaria", Sofia 2007.
- GRI, "The Transparent Economy - Six tigers stalk the global recovery - and how to tame them", 2010.
- Kaplan R., Norton D.: The balanced scorecard: measures that drive performance, Harvard Business Review, January-February 1992.
- Kaplan R., Norton D.: Using the balanced scorecard as a strategic management system, Harvard Business Review, January-February 1996.
- Kaplan R., Norton D.: Transforming the balanced scorecard, from performance measurement to strategic management, March 2001, Accounting Horizon, Vol. 15, No. 1.
- KPMG. International Survey of Corporate Responsibility Reporting 2008. Amsterdam.
- McWilliams A., Siegel D.: Corporate Social Responsibility: a theory of the firm perspective, Academy of Management Review, issue 26, 2001, volume 1, pp. 117-127.
- Pava M.L., Krausz J.: The Association between Corporate Social Responsibility and Financial Performance: The Paradox of Social Cost, Journal of Business Ethics, Issue 15, Volume 3, pp. 321- 357, 1996.
- Stern J., Stewart G.B., Chew D.: The EVATM: Financial Management System. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance 8:2, 32-46. Journal publisher Stern Stewart Management Services Inc., 1995.
- Stewart III, G. B. EVATM: fact or fantasy. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance 7, Journal publisher Stern Stewart Management Services Inc. (Summer, 1994), 71-84.
- Waddock S., Graves S.: The corporate social performance - financial performance link, Strategic Management Journal, no. 18, pp. 303-319, 1997.
- Wood D.J.: Corporate social performance revisited, Academy of Management Review, vol. 16, iss. 4, pp. 691-719, 1991.
- Cytowane przez