- Kuhl Karol (University of Warsaw, Poland)
- Income Mobility, Unemployment and GDP
- Emergo. Journal of Transforming Economies and Societies, 2003, vol. 10, no. 3, s. 32-43, tab., bibliogr. 17 poz.
- Słowa kluczowe
- Dochody ludności, Mobilność dochodowa, Bezrobocie, Produkt krajowy brutto (PKB)
People's income, Income mobility, Unemployment, Gross domestic product (GDP)
- The aim of this paper is to explore macro-economic factors of income mobility. Wodon (2001) shows that the correlation between earnings mobility and economic growth depends on the type of labour market adjustments: in quantity-adjusting economies like Argentina, mobility is negatively correlated with economic growth, whereas in price-adjusting economies like Mexico, this correlation is positive. Two issues are of interest here:
• Would the results change if incomes instead of earnings were used?
• Is there a "universal" relationship between economic growth and income mobility once unemployment is taken into account?
The first question is answered in a discussion, and the second question is answered by means of data analysis. International income mobility data are used in an attempt to test a simple theoretical model and not for the purpose of comparison of mobility patterns across countries. The remaining sections of the paper are organized as follows. A model linking relative income mobility and macroeconomic output is presented in section II. Section III contains a description of the data, briefly describes five measures of mobility, and presents the econometric setting of analysis along with estimation results. Section IV provides some conclusions. (fragment of text)
- Dostępne w
- Biblioteka Główna Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Krakowie
Biblioteka Szkoły Głównej Handlowej w Warszawie
Biblioteka Główna Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Poznaniu
Biblioteka Główna Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego we Wrocławiu
- Aaberge, R., Bjórklund, A., Janti, M., Palme, M., Pedersen, P. J., Smith, N. and Wennemo, T. (2002) "Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States". The Review of Income and Wealth 48 (4): 443-69
- Bartholomew, D. J. (1973) Stochastic Models for Social Processes. Second Edition. London-New York-Sydney-Toronto: John Wiley & Sons
- Buchinsky, M. and Hunt, J. (1999) "Wage Mobility in the United States". The Review of Economics and Statistics 81 (3): 351-68
- Bogomolova, T. and Tapilina, V. (1999) "Income Mobility in Russia in the mid-1990s". Economic Education and Research Consortium Working Paper No. 11
- Canto, O. (2000) "Income Mobility in Spain: How Much is There?". Review of Income and Wealth 9 (4): 331-49.
- Fabig, H. (1999) "Income Mobility and the Welfare State". lournal of European Social Policy 9 (4): 331-49
- Fields, G. S. and Ok, E. A. (1999) "The Measurement of Income Mobility: An Introduction to the Literature" in J. Silber (ed.) Handbook on Income Inequality Measurement. Boston-Dordrecht-London: Kluver Academic Publishers
- Górecki, B. and Kuhl, K. (2002) "Czynniki ruchliwości dochodowej w krajach transformacji gospodarczej" [Income mobility factors in transition economies]. Ekonomia 7: 3-12
- Hauser, R. and Fabig, H. (1999) "Labor Earnings and Household Income Mobility in Reunified Germany: A Comparison of the Eastern and Western States". Review of Income and Wealth 45 (3): 303-24
- Hauser, R. and Wagner, G. G. (2002) "Economics of Personal Distribution of Income" in K. F. Zimmerman (ed.) Frontiers of Economics. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer-Verlag
- Headey, B. and Muffels, R. (1999) "Up and Down: The Rich, the Poor and Income Mobility". Institute of Public Affairs Review, 3-6 December
- Hungerford, T. L. (1993) "US Income Mobility in the Seventies and Eighties". Review of Income and Wealth 39 (4): 403-17
- Jarvis, S. and Jenkins, S. P. (1998) "How Much Income Mobility is There in Britain?". The Economic lournal 108: 428-43
- Lillard, L. A. and Willis, R. J. (1978) "Dynamic Aspects of Earning Mobility". Econometrics 46 (5): 985-1012
- Schiller, B. R. (1977) "Relative Earnings Mobility in the United States". The American Economic Review 67 (5): 376-93
- Shorrocks, A. F. (1978) "Income Inequality and Income Mobility". lournal of Economic Theory 19: 376-93
- Wodon, Q. (2001) "Income Mobility and Risk During the Business Cycle: Comparing Adjustments in Labor Markets in Two Latin-American Countries". Economics of Transition 9 (2): 449-61
- Cytowane przez