- Sommers Denise K.
- Integrating Service Learning into the Online Classroom: The Development of Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Empowerment, and Leadership
- e-mentor, 2012, nr 3, s. 99-102, bibliogr. 5 poz.
- Słowa kluczowe
- Zdalne nauczanie, Szkolnictwo wyższe, Edukacja elektroniczna
e-learning, Higher education, e-education
- Online teaching and learning has grown exponentially in the past decade which has transformed higher education globally. The body of research related to online teaching effectiveness has grown over the past few decades as well. Many faculty understand and use the online format and pedagogy to teach courses centering on knowledge and awareness. The challenge facing faculty new to online teaching and learning is in part maximizing engagement beyond the abstract nature of the online environment. One method of moving beyond the abstract or theoretical is creating applied assignments. However, creating online pedagogy that facilitates the development of applied skills in course content is not easy to envision. Using experiential activities that are within the confines of the virtual environment can be limited in scope and fall short of fully integrating assignments or products that are applicable to practice. Likewise, one-shot exposure does not necessary result in skills gained and appropriately used in the field. Perhaps characteristic of this dilemma, some faculty may not consider an assignment that occurs over the entire term and uses the community rather than the virtual classroom as the context of learning. However, experiential learning pedagogy such as service learning can be a viable component of the online classroom.(fragment tekstu)
(fragment of text)
- Dostępne w
- Biblioteka Szkoły Głównej Handlowej w Warszawie
Biblioteka Główna Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Poznaniu
Biblioteka Główna Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego we Wrocławiu
- Austin M.J., Cruzich J.M., Assessing recent textbooks and casebooks in human service administration: Implications and future directions, [in:] "Administration in Social Work" 2004, No. 28 (1), p. 115-129.
- Fletcher G., The future of e-learning, [in:] "The Journal" 2004, No. 32 (2), p. 2-3.
- Daily-Hebert A., Donnelli-Sailee E., Di Padova-Stocks L.N., Service-eLearning as integrated pedagogy: An introduction, [in:] A. Dailey- Hebert, E. Donnelli-Sallee, L.N. DiPadova-Stocks (eds.), Service-eLearning: Educating for citizenship, Information Age Publishing, NC 2008.
- Burnett J.A., Hamel D., Long L.L., Service learning in graduate counselor education: Developing multicultural competency, [in:] "Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development" 2004, No. 32, p. 180-191.
- Sommers D.K., Using service learning to develop collaboration, critical thinking, empowerment, and leadership in online human services graduate students, [in:] J. Hagen, A.T. Kisubi (eds.), Best practices in human services: A global perspective, CSHSE Monograph, 2011, p. 90-111.
- Cytowane przez